Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Moving Up, Living Down

One thing I love about my wife is her love for music. But it's not the somewhat typical music lover that owns tons of records and albums and feels the need the share their vast and random knowledge of who recorded what when. I love the fact that she simply just likes what she likes. This is very similar to my own love for music because those who know me know that I have a wide variety of songs I like. Basically, good music is good music.

Anyway, every now and then Asha will introduce me to a random artist that tickles my fancy. A couple years ago she had me tag along to see Eric Hutchinson in concert. His album had recently debuted and I probably had a week or so to preview and prepare for the concert. I liked his single, "Rock & Roll" and I picked up on another song, but that was as good as it was going to get for that concert.

Well, to my surprise, he gave one of the better concerts I've been to. It was at The Visulite Theatre which is a smaller venue, allowing the audience to seem closer to the artist (literally and figuratively). His music style suits me well because he's definitely a rock/pop sort of singer, but he's got tons of soul to him and seems to be fond of music from the 60s and 70s. Needless to say, I had a lot of fun at his concert and immediately became an Eric Hutchinson fan.

Fast forward to May 2012. He's back! Asha, being the lovely wife that she is, bought tickets to the show and his new album, "Moving Up, Living Down" (in stores now). Needless to say, I was excited. The last concert set the bar pretty high, so part of me was worried that I wouldn't have my expectations met.

Ready to see Eric Hutchionson
After waiting in line for 15-20 minutes, we made it inside early enough to snag a prime spot right smack dab in the center. The best part - we had chairs. Now I didn't have to stand during the opening act (yup, I'm lazy).

Eric Hutchinson
Blah, blah, blah - Eric Hutchinson and crew finally hit the stage and it was time to groove. If you haven't listened to the album, give your ears a treat and check it out. There isn't really a track that won't have your head nodding or your feet tapping along with the beat. The crowd was bigger and more energetic this go-round, and Hutchinson seemed to feed off of the energy. He's very lively on stage and likes to get the crowd moving and dance around while playing guitar/piano.



He isn't the best dancer... but hey, he's having fun and enjoying himself. I'm not mad at him.

All in all, it was another GREAT concert. I swear Asha and I will bring one of you lucky folks with us next time because someone needs to come and enjoy this with us. I highly recommend the album and if you get the chance, see him live. It's definitely a good time. Here's one more video. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I would have gone but didn't know he was there until the day of. Love "All Over Now" and his first album. I need to check out his newest one. :)

    ReplyDelete