Friday, September 17, 2010

May I have this dance?

I would consider myself a modern bride.  There will be traditional parts to our wedding, but I like to change things up a bit; do my own thing and be creative.  Therefore I won't be walking down the isle to your traditional wedding march.  


In April, I decided to go see the wonderful Dave Barnes.  Before going to see him live, I had liked a few of his songs.  A lot of his stuff was too slow for my liking but he was coming to Charlotte and by golly I was going to see him.  Talk about an amazing show.  I was blown away and walked out a huge fan.  Not only does he sing with soul and sophistication, he is also quite the jokester.  He is hilarious, taking the time to talk and joke with the audience.  During his show, he sang a song called 'Home'.  I was speechless.  This was it.  This was the song I saw myself walking down the aisle to marry Jeremy.  It was perfect.  This song gives me goosebumps every time I hear it and has actually brought tears to my eyes knowing that it is perfect for Jeremy and I.  I encourage everyone to go download this song on iTunes.  His latest album, 'What We Want, What We Get'  is awesome as well, so you won't be wasting your money.  Below are the lyrics to 'Home', a song that reminds me of the feelings I have for Jeremy.  I love all of the words to this song but I really love how in the end, Dave says "wherever WE are is home".


Your voices swirl and welcome me
Hem me in, this anthem sweet
Cause we are all familiar now
We're in each other's blood somehow

I will never be a stranger
I will never be alone
Cause deep inside of me I know that
Wherever you are, is home

So raise a glass and gather round
Toast the night and friendships found
I lay to rest my troubled face
Breathe deep this amazing grace

I will never be a stranger
I will never be alone
Cause deep inside of me I know that
Wherever you are is home

Sometime soon this road may part
Mine may end where yours starts
Should you ever need me
You'll know where I'll always be.

You will never be a stranger
You will never be alone
Cause deep inside of me I know that
Wherever WE are is home. 


Another song that means a lot to me, also reminding me of Jeremy, is 'A Beautiful Mess' by the one and only, Jason Mraz.  Anyone who knows me, knows I have a slight obsession with him so does it surprise you that we chose a song of his to be our first dance?


Jeremy and I may seem like the perfect couple, but trust me, we've had our ups and downs.  We've broken our relationship off more than once, in the beginning stages and even the late stages.  It was our last "break up" that made me realize that I can't live without him.  Something inside of me was broken.  I've never cried so much in my life.  Jeremy was also broken.  Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep.  Apollo (our dog) didn't even act the same.  Once we got through this bump in the road, we have become closer than ever.  If anything we love each other even more and know that we are, indeed, made for each other.  


Jason's song 'A Beautiful Mess' describes us perfectly. Relationships are messy.  Life is messy.  But they can each be beautiful if you work through that mess.  Jason got it right on the money with this song.  This song also gives me goosebumps.  Especially when I hear it live.  I bolded the lyrics that really hit home.


You've got the best of both worlds
You're the kind of girl who can take down a man,
And lift him back up again
You are strong but you're needy,
Humble but you're greedy
And based on your body language,
And shoddy cursive I've been reading
Your style is quite selective,
though your mind is rather reckless
Well I guess it just suggests
that this is just what happiness is


And, what a beautiful mess this is
Its like picking up trash in dresses


Well it kind of hurts when the kind of words you write
Kind of turn themselves into knives
And don't mind my nerve you could call it fiction
But I like being submerged in your contradictions dear
'Cause here we are, here we are


Although you were biased I love your advice
Your comebacks they're quick
And probably have to do with your insecurities
There's no shame in being crazy,
Depending on how you take these
Words I'm paraphrasing this relationship we're staging


And what a beautiful mess, this is
It's like picking up trash in dresses


Well it kind of hurts when the kind of words you say
Kind of turn themselves into blades
And the kind of courteous is a life I've heard
But it's nice to see that we played in the dirt
'Cause here, here we are, here we are


Here we are, here we are,
Here we are, here we are
Here we are, here we are
Here we are, we're still here


We're still here
What a beautiful mess, this is
It's like taking a guess when the only answer is "yes"


And through timeless words and priceless pictures
We'll fly like birds not of this earth
And tides they turn and hearts disfigure
But that's no concern when we're wounded together
And we tore our dresses and stained our shirts
But its nice today.  Oh the wait was so worth it.


And there you have it, ladies and gents.  Two songs that mean so much to me and fit into our wedding perfectly.  Did I mention I get to see Jason in 4 days and Dave in November?!  Lucky, I know.  Anyone who wants to go see Dave with me is welcome to come!

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful asha. Thanks for letting us know why you chose the songs you did. P.S. I will go see Dave with you ;)

    ReplyDelete