Friday, August 30, 2013

Movin' & Groovin'

My husband rarely gets me annoyed at him but one weekend I was up to my limit with a song that he had taught himself on the guitar. During a span of 48 hours, Jeremy had played the same song over and over and OVER again. At least 10,00 times. I couldn't take it anymore! I was a horrible wife and yelled at him...Told him not to play it while I was around for the rest of that particular weekend.

Since then I have grown to like the song that he was playing and singing on repeat. One Republic's "Counting Stars" would soon make it's way onto my playlist with me happily blasting it in the car. Jeremy has since calmed down on the tune and moved onto a variety of songs making the song much more enjoyable for my ears.

To make up for being a horrible wife that weekend I snapped at him, I surprised J with tickets to see One Republic, the very band that played the song I was so annoyed with at the time.

This was all very last minute on my part. I found out One Republic was coming into town only the day before the actual show but I was hesitant to purchase tickets since there was 100% chance rain predicted for that night. The next day I was constantly checking The Weather Channel and to my luck, the percentage of rain kept dwindling down all the way to 0%. Once I got home, we were out the door and he drove us to our surprise destination. (I would have driven but that Friday commute from Salisbury is KILLER, you guys. KILLER.)

I bought tickets at the door and we found the perfect spot to set up our blanket on the lawn. We grabbed an overpriced dinner of chicken tenders and french fries from the venue and happily ate while dancing along to Mayer Hawthorne's tunes. We were happy to find out that Mayer Hawthorne was actually featured on one of our "Jams of the week" (those are a regular in the Singleton household). Mayer opened with that very song so, needless to say, it was a great start to the evening.

I couldn't, for the life of me, take a good picture. I gave up and it resorted to this.

Mayer Hawthorne and band.
One Republic finally made their way out with a dramatic first song of lights and shadows behind a curtain waiting until the very end to show themselves. It was a great show of old songs and new, upbeat and slow. Ryan Tedder did a great job of engaging the audience, chatting with us in between songs, informing us to eat at Dish in Plaza Midwood (I've already been there and highly recommend it), and telling us how perfect the night was with it being 60 degrees in August...in North Carolina of all places. Yep. The night was pretty perfect.

One Republic.


The best part about this One Republic concert was that it was just the preview for another amazing concert just a few days after. Jeremy and I had plans to go see Bruno Mars just 5 days later.

Fast forward to August 21st at 7:30pm to an arena full of Bruno Mars fans.

We got to our seats just in time to see Fitz and the Tantrums open up the show. We were excited to see some familiar faces as we had seen them open for Jason Mraz at Madison Square Garden. It was great to hear some new material from them and they had us dancing out of our seats and wanting their new album in no time at all.

Wednesday Date Night!

I need some dance lessons from the lady of Fitz and the Tantrums. She's got some moves.

Bruno Mars took his sweet time starting his portion of the show but we quickly forgave him once he hit the stage. We danced and sang along to several songs reminiscing on those old radio hits that we'll always know and love. You couldn't help but want to be a part of his band. They just looked like they were having a great time dancing and playing music that they love. Twas a great, great night.

Bruno Mars and band!

Bruno! He's short but he can MOVE.

Great show :)



No comments:

Post a Comment