Thursday, November 10, 2011

Deer Crossing

It started out as any other Thursday morning. I rushed to get ready, racing to catch the vanpool that takes me to work. ( I work an hour away from home, so to save on gas I commute with others that also make the long commute.) As I was driving on I-485, I looked to my left and noticed two deer running across the highway. They were in the median and they were gunning it, looking frantic. I slowed down but that didn't work to my advantage. I closed my eyes, heard some clunks and opened my eyes to shattered glass, wishing I had missed them altogether.

I was in shock. Shocked that the two deer didn't ram into me. Shocked that I wasn't hurt. Shocked that I actually hit a deer. Luckily, the only damage done was to the hood of the car and my windshield. There was no blood to be found which makes me believe the deer are ok and not hurt too terribly. All in all, it could have been a lot worse and I am very appreciative to walk away in perfect condition.

Check out the fur that got stuck in the corner!
Dents

Jeremy came to my rescue to keep me company while we waited for the police to get there. It took TWO hours for the officer to show up. TWO! While waiting, we watched three police cars pass by. *sigh* We eventually got things rolling with a police report, tow truck, and figuring out insurance information.

It was a crazy morning but it ended up being a great day.  I decided to take the day off and not go into work. This turned out to be the best decision I could have made all day. I ended up having lunch with my mom and sister, spent some quality time with my dad, and got some errands out of the way.

For now, my car is in the body shop. There's no telling how long it will take for them to fix it but I'm hoping it doesn't take long.

Instead of being a downer about the day, I am grateful. Grateful that I'm not hurt. Grateful to spend time with my family. And grateful to have great friends helping throughout the day. Thanks to everyone who helped out and who voiced concern!!!!

2 comments:

  1. that is SO scary! thankful you were okay...much needed day off for sure!

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara! Steer clear of them up in Boone!

    ReplyDelete