Monday, November 22, 2010

It's Tradition!

12 years ago, my family started a tradition.  Most of my dad's side of the family all live in Charlotte so it's easy to get together with them every so often.  My mom's side of the family, however, is spread out.  At the time, my aunt and cousins lived in Illinois, us in North Carolina, and my grandparents in Florida.  It was getting to where we weren't seeing each other as much as we'd like so we decided to change that.  We wanted to get together at least once a year and spend quality time together.  What better way than to meet in the middle?  We found the best spot where it was an equal drive for everyone.  Norris Dam State Park in Tennessee was the the lucky winner.


We had a great time out in good ol' Tennessee.  It was filled with laughter, games, good food, and presents.  We even formed our own band!  It was great to finally reunite with each other.  Over the years we've had to entertain ourselves with no t.v., figure out how to cook an abundance of food with a very small kitchen, and wait for cows to cross the road on the way home.  Since then, with an exception of a few years, we have met every Thanksgiving, right in the middle.  We've traveled to Tennessee, West Virginia, and Kentucky to meet and gobble up the turkey.


Even though we may be a dysfunctional family at times, it is my favorite time of the year and I'm so excited that Jeremy finally gets to experience the ride!  I've wanted him there for the past few years but I knew he would join one day.  I just had to be patient. 


Our family tradition started with all the "kids" in grade school, middle school, high school, and college. Now we've added wives, husbands, fiancé's, and babies to the mix!  Where has time gone?!  I hope Jeremy knows what he's in for.... :)


1998 Norris Dam, Tennessee



Your entertainment for the evening! (1998)


1999 Tygart Lake, West Virginia

2000 Sieverville,Tennessee

2001 Tennessee

For some reason in 2002 we didn't get together.  I have no clue why.


2003 Kentucky

2004 Kentucky
2005 Tennessee 

2006 Kentucky

Dogs are welcome too! (2006)
2007 Kentucky.  Welcome Trevor!!
In 2008, Mitch and Kim tied the knot!  Their wedding was in October, 
so we celebrated Thanksgiving in the windy city!

2009 Lake Cumberland, Kentucky--Welcome Kyra!!

No comments:

Post a Comment