Friday, July 25, 2014

Leaving the Lion's Den

5 years ago, I walked into my first full-time paying job. I was excited...I was nervous...The 1 hour drive to Salisbury didn't even bother me! I was grateful for a job in my career field and that alone made me happy. I walked into Food Lion knowing that I would find success in my career but I didn't necessarily know that I was walking into a second family. I've grown to know people with the biggest hearts, the largest laughs and the most sincere personalities. 5 years brought many adventures, my first look into a corporate organization and the closest friendships. I've learned how to quickly thaw a frozen turkey, revive my dead tomato plant and my southern vocabulary has slowly expanded.







Over the years, the drive got longer as I joined a vanpool to help save on gas. I walked into another group of close friends that would easily make me laugh on those long rides home on I-85. It was another opportunity to learn more stories and make more friendships that I am grateful for.


My last day at Food Lion was definitely bitter sweet but it's time for me to be closer to home, to hopefully start a family, and mostly, to take care of me. On my final day at the lion's den, I held it together until the very end. I couldn't help but shed a tear when I hugged the manager who hired a girl fresh out of college, a girl who needed someone to take a chance and believe that she would succeed. From there I sobbed all the way to my car while one of my closest and first friends I made at work, Elyse, walked me out.






It was hard to say goodbye but I know I will see those familiar faces in the future. I'm reminded of them each day when I look at the time on my special, 5 year engraved clock given by the Food Lion Marketing team. Something about accepting my new position as senior graphic designer at MetLife just felt right. I'm hoping to learn at a new level, looking forward to the shorter drive and spending more time with my husband and family. Working on the same floor as my sister is also a plus :)




Thank you, Food Lion, for letting me pursue my passion. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to be surrounded by each day. It was you that made the 3 hour commute worth every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment