Friday, December 6, 2013


Thanksgiving started out a little differently this year. A little thing called SNOW made the drive to Kentucky quite interesting. Flurries brushed up against our window as it looked liked we were driving through a Winter Wonderland for the entire 6 hours. Jeremy was a trooper and got us to our cabin safely as we stretched our legs and toured the house once we arrived.

The next few hours we were greeted by extended family with lots of hugs and chaos. The once "big" house all of the sudden felt small once everyone was there. We enjoyed a family meal as we caught up with each other and, of course, shared many laughs.

Turkey day arrived and we woke up to a chilly 19 degrees the next morning. We've made it a tradition to run a turkey trot in the next town over and because of the bone-chilling weather, we went from 8 participants to 4. I was one of the crazy 4 to run but I guess you could say it was worth it since I placed 3rd in my age group with a time of 28:50, earning myself a Williamsburg, Kentucky medal. Our most favorite part of this race is the fact that 1st place winners in each age group walk away with a homemade pie or dessert. It makes running and placing in your age group all the while. Although me and my cousin placed 3rd in our age groups, we were able to talk the mayor into letting us pick out some of the leftover goodies. I scoped out the dessert table with a careful eye and walked away with delicious white chocolate covered Oreos that were pretty much the best thing ever...especially after a 3 mile run with hills.

We headed home and walked into a house full of good smelling food cooking on the stove and in the oven. It would be a few hours until all food would be done so I took it upon myself to hide away in my little nook and take a nap. I woke up to a call and text from my best friend, Sairy, with news that she had gotten engaged!!!! WOOHOO!!!!! So exciting!!! BIG congratulations to Sairy & Julius!!

Dinner time finally came around as we gathered together around our make-shift giant table. All of my favorite foods filled my plate as I happily stuffed my face and took in the moments being around my family that I get to see once a year.

That night the kids couldn't have been any cuter as they cuddled together in a room nearby letting the big kids (that's us) play games and eat dessert.

There was no waking up early or standing in crazy lines on Black Friday for us. We opted on going for a hike instead. We wanted to try a new trail this year and accidently scared a hunter off with our loud banter and laughs. Oops. The trail was a bit more challenging than we thought so we turned around about a half mile in. We got some cute pictures out of it so that's all that matters, right? We weren't quite done being one with Mother Nature so we headed a little further down the road to the Natural Arch, the area we explored the year before. We, of course, got our picture taking on. Our Grandad would be proud as he was a photo-taking extraordinaire himself.

We forgot to cook the ham for our Thanksgiving feast the night before so Jeremy popped it in the oven while we were on the hike. We came home and loaded up on the leftovers, filling our plates and stuffing our faces all over again. It was heavenly.

Yep...that would be a picture of me stuffing my face
The night ended with games by a warm fire with football on mute surrounded by the loudness and laughter of my family. We may be crazy but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Chaos filled the morning once again as we all packed up to head our separate ways. Tears were shed as it is never easy to say goodbye. The quality time spent together was a little dose of medicine everyone needed. We came home refreshed and exhausted at the same time but so grateful to have spent the last 3 days with the coolest people around. Until next year, Kentucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment