Wednesday, October 26, 2011

16¢ DIY Coasters

Coasters for 16¢?! Sign me up!

Jeremy and I put all of our wedding money that we received from our awesome friends and family towards a living room set. That living room set happened to come with a coffee table...a pretty nice one at that. We would rather not ruin this table with left-over residue from drink glasses. Needless to say, we were in desperate need of some coasters!

My inner Martha Stewart turned to the beloved Pinterest for help. I found that you could make your own coasters for 16¢ just by using 4x4 tiles, Mod Podge, Clear Spray Paint, Felt Pads, and Scrapbook Paper.


We had a gift card for Lowes, so we headed there for the tiles and spray paint. Sure enough, they had single tiles for 16¢ each! AWESOME!!!! I grabbed some clear spray paint and we headed to Michaels for Mod Podge and Felt. I already had some scrapbook paper waiting for me at home, so no need to buy that small expense.

Once I had all my supplies, I cut my scrapbook paper down to 4x4 inch squares. I then used the Mod Podge, painting the back of the paper and gluing it to the tiles. Once secure, I added another coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper to add that extra shine and to protect the edges from curling.

After the Mod Podge was dry, I took my tiles outside to add a coat of clear spray paint for the final surface. Just make sure to spray an even coat because I made the mistake of not doing that. I started this project at night and didn't wait to spray paint in the daylight like I should have. (I get a little excited and anxious) This made a few coasters look a little blotchy....but only if you REALLY look at the detail. I let it slide. Just don't mention it when you come over ;)

Next, I used my handy dandy hot glue gun to paste the felt to the bottom of the coaster. This was to make sure the coasters weren't all clanky on the glass and wood surface of our coffee table. You could buy felt pads but I just bought a sheet of felt and cut it down to 4x4 inches just like the scrap book paper. It worked out perfectly and the felt sheets were only 20¢ a piece.

There we have it! You can make your own coasters for a great deal!  I plan to make some Appalachian coasters for the Man Loft :)


Go Panthers!
P.S. Do you like the new look to the blog?!

No comments:

Post a Comment