Monday, April 10, 2017

The Life of Eli: Month One

We've been pooped on, peed on, screamed at and sleep deprived. All of this due to a certain one-month old we're pretty fond of.








The first four weeks were all about learning, feeding and changing diapers around the clock. Elijah and I were lucky to have Dad home for the first two weeks which helped oh-so-much. It came in handy when I needed to ice my still-swollen feet from delivery or when I needed a break to catch up on some Zzz's.







We managed to make it on time to our first pediatric appointment with Dr. Ellis who confirmed that our boy at 4 days old was perfect and gaining weight like a champ. Later that week, we managed to make it to another doctor appointment on time, only this time with a lactation consultant. She, again, was impressed by his latching abilities and quick weight gain that was getting him close to his birth weight.


Week 3 was an adjustment as it was just Elijah and I at home. It was rocky at first having to juggle feeding, pumping, diapers and napping while Jeremy was at work but by Week 4 I had a pretty good rhythm going.


Sleep for the first 4 weeks was pretty much non-existant. The bassinet was a no-go, leaving sleeping on Mom the only option at the time. We were advised to try a rock-n-play so we tried that and it helped a little but he was still pretty fussy. He'll learn to like sleeping by himself one day!








Baths are also a scream. Our little monster definitely comes out at bath time. Water time only lasts 5 minutes but he's only relaxed when his tummy is rested on Jeremy's forearm. Again, we'll learn to like baths one day!


By Elijah's 1-month appointment, he had surpassed his birthweight, grew half an inch and was healthy overall. The most grief he gave us was at me for taking a picture of him while he obviously wanted to get dressed.


In his first month of life, Elijah has met so many new family members and friends! He is beyond lucky to be loved by many. Shout out to all of you who have pampered Jeremy and I with meals that got us through this learning curve of ours. Not having to worry about dinner has been a life saver.




























There were a lot of firsts. First bottle. First birthday as a Dad. First time in the ergo. First time in the stroller. First St. Patrick's Day.


















Although Month One has been an adjustment, my favorite moments are holding him tight while singing him to sleep. So far his favorite songs are Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, This Little Light of Mine and 93 Million Miles (by Jason Mraz). I'm soaking in holding his little fingers, tickling his tiny toes and smiling at that gassy grin of his.


Elijah, my little burrito, my little monster, my bug-a-boo, my little Hawaiian prince, you are worth the dirty diapers, the angry screaming and the sleepless nights. I love being your Mama and wouldn't change it for the world. (The same goes for your Dad)

No comments:

Post a Comment