Sunday, October 30, 2016

Run, Baby, Run!

At the beginning of the year, one of my resolutions was to run more. A local running company here in Charlotte, Run For Your Life,  helped me stick to my goal by offering a series of races where linking medals were given at each finish line. Although I had no idea I would be pregnant for 5/6 races, I was up for the challenge and ready to train.



Race #1: Stonecrest Shamrock 4 miler - 39:45
Ah, the one race I actually trained for. Even with training, this race was a tough one. Ballantyne has some long rolling hills that don't make it easy.




0 weeks pregnant


Race #2: American 4 miler - 46:13
This one snuck up on me. Well, I should say that the length of 4 miles snuck up on me. I originally thought this race was a 5k (3.12 miles) and found out only a few days before that it was 4 miles. The morning of the race I didn't know I was pregnant, but that night I found out I was :) Turns out I was 5 weeks pregnant. Lucky for me, I didn't push myself during the race and had no problem walking throughout.



5 weeks pregant




Race #3: Yaisou Greek Festival 5K - 41:55
It's known as the flattest 5k in Charlotte and it was my first race running knowing I was pregnant. After getting the okay from my doctor to run the race at an easy pace, I felt good to go with my tiny bump.






13 weeks pregnant

Race #4: Hit the Brixx 5k
I wish I could have run EVERY race in the series but the App State football game against Miami trumped my love for running. Lucky for me, I've got a great friend who stepped up to the plate for me. Kaitlin did all the work and even gave me the medal after! She's the best.



Race #5: Novant Health 5k -42:12
This was my favorite race out of the 6 only because I got to run it with my boo. That's right, I got Jeremy to put on his running shoes and run the race with me. We had a great time running in the cooler fall weather and taking in the views of Lake Norman along the way.




18 weeks pregnant

awww, poor baby needed a nap

Race #6: Rocktoberfest 5 miler - 1:08:05
Finally! The last of the races! A 5 mile race at 5 months pregnant?! It was a long shot but I was determined to run it. I took it easy throughout and was actually pretty happy with my time. I was even more happy to connect all my medals and wear them like an Olympian.





20 weeks pregnant


Was I excited to wake up early and run these races throughout the spring, summer and fall? Not particularly. But I'm glad I did it. It has kept me healthy and active throughout the pregnancy making me push through beast mode to get it done. I'm even thinking about signing up next year. I gotta lose the baby weight somehow!

No comments:

Post a Comment