Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Great Pumpkin(s)

I've been wanting to go apple picking for the past...I dunno...5 years, and well, I've never accomplished the task of convincing Jeremy to go. Apple picking and the start of football season go hand in hand and it's hard to pry that man away from the tv. Add coaching into the mix and it makes it even harder. It was easy, however, to convince my sister when saying it would be a fun family outing that Keegan would love.

She hopped on the apple picking bandwagon in seconds! We picked a weekend to go, marked it on our calandar and waited anxiously for the day to arrive. There was one small bump in the road. Just the weekend before we planned to go, I read a post from the orchard saying they had the busiest day and Pick Your Own Apples was done for the season.

Done.

FOR THE SEASON!

I emailed the orchard just to make sure my eyes had seen correctly. Sadly, it was true. No more apple picking for the season. I guess we'll plan to go earlier next year so we can get our hands on some apples and the farm's apple cider donuts.

On to Plan B.

I was determined to still make a family day out of it and both my sister and I did a little research on what local farms we could visit. There were a ton to choose from and we landed on the Hunter Farm which included a pumpkin patch, a hayride, and a petting zoo. Sounded like a winner to us!


We arrived on the (so far) hottest day of October. A sleepy Keegan who just awoke from a cat nap was a little hesitant at first but once he saw the field of pumpkins he was down to business picking up every pumpkin his size, handing it off to Mom and Grammie. He was having a BLAST but we hadn't even  gotten to the best part yet!


After browsing the pumpkins, we loaded onto the tractor hayride which slowly took us to the petting zoo. Keegan is at the stage where he is an EXPERT at animal sounds. It was beyond adorable to see him experience all of the live animals and mimic their sounds right in front them. It was too cute for words I tell ya. The boy is fearless and even fed some goats!



I want one so bad!!!





After sanitizing the heck out of our hands, the four of us got back on the hayride to the pumpkin patch. We picked out 4 little pumpkins for each of us and headed home.




It was such a great and special afternoon with my family. Everyone had a great time and needless to say, we slept well that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment